Submissions to the Airlie Prize are open January 1 through March 1 to all poets writing in English, regardless of place of residence. The winner will be notified in the fall following the submission and will receive a $1000 cash award upon publication of the book in October of the next year. A custom bookmark or postcard will accompany the initial print run of at least 500 copies.
All manuscripts will be judged anonymously. If you have submitted to the Airlie Prize before, we encourage you to try again. The judging team of Airlie Press editors varies from year to year.
Poets previously published by Airlie Press are ineligible to enter this contest. If you have a close connection to one or more past Airlie Press editors or one of the Airlie Prize winners, please indicate so in your submission note; those editors will be excluded from reviewing your manuscript. If unsure about your connection to the press, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions are accepted via Submittable during the submission period. Please remove all identifying information and acknowledgments from your manuscript. These details can be included in the Submittable entry form. Entry fee: $25 ($33 if you would like to receive a copy of the winning book; $38 for those residing outside the US wishing to receive the book).
1. Manuscripts should be 48 to 90 pages of original poetry in English. No more than one poem should appear on a page.
2. Please be sure manuscript pages are numbered.
3. Please include a table of contents.
4. Please use a standard, easy-to-read font such as Times New Roman in twelve-point size.
5. Poems included in the submission may have appeared previously in magazines or anthologies but may not have been previously published in a book-length collection of the author’s own work.
6. Authors may submit more than one manuscript as long as no material is duplicated between submissions. Each submission requires a separate entry fee.
7. This contest is limited to single-author submissions. Translations are not eligible.
8. We accept simultaneous submissions, but ask that you notify us and withdraw your manuscript from Submittable if it is accepted by another publisher. Entry fees are nonrefundable.
9. The contest winner will participate in the judging on the next year's Airlie Prize.